Saturday, September 15, 2012

My Bathroom is Orange!

Now I know what the inside of a pumpkin looks like...



This stuff is called Schluter-Kerdi or just Kerdi.  It is a waterproofing membrane.  Essentially, there are two ways to waterproof a shower (You do want it waterproof!).  

  1. You can go the traditional route, which consists of a rubber liner with a cement pan poured inside the rubber liner.  Then you have thick plastic liner between the studs and the concrete backer board, or green rock sheetrock( The Green sheetrock was in my house, with no liner, but they used cultured marble which is essentially plastic, and fairly waterproof.   Barely acceptable...)
  2. Or the new-fangled stuff, which is what I chose.  Threre are a few of the waterproofing membranes available, but the one I found was Kerdi.  
Essentially, you have to keep the water away from the studs and rest of the wall.  Contrary to popular belief, Tile and Grout are NOT waterproof.  With the traditional method, the water gets the concrete pan wet, but is contained by the liner, and slowly weeps out to the drain.  The new stuff puts the waterproof side immediately next to the tile & grout.  Your concrete backer board and drain pan never get wet...(If you do it right).  You can even install it over plain old sheetrock, if you're feeling lucky, anyway.  I chose over concrete backer board.

Next step is to water test this sucker...  I'm praying that I did everything right.

  1. I don't want it to leak
  2. I don't want to have to tear anything apart to fix it, if it leaks...
So, I think it'll be dry enough to water test on either Sunday night or Monday...  Which means leaving water in the shower pan for 24 hours at least.

This stuff is pretty expensive, but hopefully, worth it.  I bought a shower kit ($400), complete with a prefab pan sloped correctly to the drain.  Then I realize, son of a gun..   Gotta buy the drain separate.  It doesn't come with the kit( $125).  Then of course I don't have enough membrane...  So another $100 worth of orange rubber.

Lord, Please don't let it leak.  
I promise, if it doesn't leak, I'll give you the credit.
What am I saying...   Even if it does leak, it's all You!







No comments:

Post a Comment